Friday, November 30, 2012

DYI Sliding Gloves




Attempt #1 
My friend and I went out and picked out the gloves we wanted to use for the sliding gloves. She chose a pair of biking gloves that had added padding in the palms and thumb area (I recommend this). Next, she took a piece of PVC pipe and cut it into 4 pieces (2 for her and 2 for me) to place in the center of the glove (thats the part that will we sliding on the ground). After that, she sanded down the sharp edges, spray painted them black (to match the gloves), and then covered them in wax. After that came the hard part, gluing the PVC to the gloves. We took a mens deoderant and put it inside the glove to fill it out so that the PVC would be kept in the right place. Next we used massive amounts of Gorilla glue and whatever other adhesives we could find around the house, tied the PVC tight to the gloves and let it dry.

The gloves worked really well, but only for a few uses before the PVC came loose from the gloves. 


Attempt #2

These are my gloves that I made the exact same way and same day as my friend did above. The only thing I did different was I bought different gloves and added finger pieces to them for extra sliding. To do this, I took small round magnets that I had and melted plastic from a 2-liter bottle around them. After that I used fabric adhesive to glue them on and then hot glues them after that. On my PVC part, I used even MORE Gorilla glue than my friend and used a whole bunch of hot glue to cover the rest. The gloves may not look great, but they work amazing and have lasted me over a month.


Attempt #3

Our third attempt went about as well as out first. We think it was because we bought gloves that fit a little snug so the tension is what kept pulling the PVC off of the glove. To fix this, my friend added more Gorilla glue and a whole bunch of hot glue... then she added her own special touch...


Attempt #4

Duct tape! It really does do wonders! She put it on strip by strip and then used a blow dryer on it to melt the sticky side of the tape more into the gloves. It's worked like a charm ever since! 


No comments:

Post a Comment